|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 5g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Vitamin C 11mg||55%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
On the surface, the zesty Irishman is similar to a whiskey sour. It adds a few twists to that popular recipe and makes an excellent dinner cocktail with a sharp, invigorating taste.
This recipe was provided by Drambuie. If you are familiar with the rusty nail, you will be pleasantly surprised by how well the herbal honey liqueur pairs with scotch's Irish counterpart. In true sour fashion, the duo is accented with citrus—in this case, triple sec and lemon juice. Finishing it off with a splash of ginger ale brings all those flavors together while adding just a hint of sparkle.
1 ounce Irish whiskey
3/4 ounce Drambuie Liqueur
1/4 ounce triple sec
3/4 ounce lemon juice
1 splash ginger ale
Lemon twist, for garnish
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker, pour the whiskey, Drambuie, triple sec, and lemon juice. Fill with ice.
Shake until the tin is frosted.
Strain into an old-fashioned glass filled with fresh ice.
Add a splash of ginger ale.
Garnish with a lemon twist. Serve and enjoy.
- Try this cocktail with various Irish whiskeys. Each one you pour will have a slightly different flavor profile and the recipe is an excellent way to test out any new-to-you bottles.
- To maintain quality, pour a top-shelf triple sec.
- As with any sour drink, fresh lemon juice is highly recommended. The juice of half a lemon should be perfect for one drink. Save time by squeezing it directly into the shaker.
- Cut the lemon twist before juicing the fruit to maximize its usage. Typically, you can get two long twists out of one lemon. Store any extra peels in ice-cold water to maintain the curl.
- This drink can also be served up in a cocktail glass. Whenever you pass on the ice, though, be sure your glass is chilled to maintain a cold drink from start to finish.
- Skip the soda if you prefer or switch to a drier option than ginger ale like club soda or tonic water.
- Use this recipe for other styles of whiskey as well. Bourbon, rye whiskey, other blended whiskeys, even scotch can all work out nicely in this mix.
How Strong Is a Zesty Irishman?
The zesty Irishman is not what you would consider a light drink. That's partially due to the fact that Drambuie is just as strong as the average Irish whiskey (80 proof). With that base, the drink's alcohol content is 23 percent ABV (46 proof). It's typical of sour drinks and a little over half the strength of drinking the whiskey straight.