This recipe for Hungarian chicken paprikash or csirke paprikas (CHEER-keh PAW-pree-kahsh) is from Zsolt Vegh of Northwest Indiana. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts can be used or a cut-up fryer with the bones in. What IS mandatory, according to Zsolt, is the use of imported sweet Hungarian paprika, preferably from the village of Cece.
Serve chicken paprikash over nokedli, wide noodles or rice, if desired.
- 2 medium onions, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon Vegeta seasoning (see below)
- 2 Hungarian wax peppers or banana wax peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 small tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Pinch hot Hungarian paprika
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, brown onions in bacon fat or vegetable oil over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until translucent. This will take 10 to 15 minutes. Do not let the onions brown. Salt the onions lightly to help tenderize them. Add a small amount of water, if necessary, to keep them from sticking to the pan.
- Turn the heat to high and add the chicken and , and stir constantly for about 3 minutes or until the chicken has been seared on all sides. Add water to cover by an inch and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is almost tender, adding water, as necessary, to keep it above the level of the chicken. This can take up to 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the Vegeta, banana wax peppers, and tomatoes. Bring back to the boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender but not falling apart. Add additional water, if necessary. Add a pinch of hot Hungarian paprika and salt to taste.
- Temper the sour cream with a few ladles of hot paprikash liquid. Return to the pan and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Serve over Hungarian csipetke or nokedli dumplings.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|