I used the coarse grind of my stand mixer's grinder attachment to make this sweet relish. This is a great relish for hot dogs or burgers, and it's a good way to use extra green tomatoes and zucchini. Finely chop the vegetables if you don't have a grinder.
- 4 1/2 cups zucchini (ground, about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups green tomatoes (ground, about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 large bell peppers (red and/or yellow, ground)
- 1 large onion (peeled, ground)
- 1/3 cup salt (pickling or canning salt)
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pickling spices
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- Put ground vegetables in a large nonreactive container with salt; gently stir to combine.
- Top with about 3 cups of ice cubes, cover, and let stand for 3 hours.
- Drain and lightly rinse.
- In a large, nonreactive kettle combine the vinegar, sugar, spices, mustard seeds, turmeric, and garlic.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add drained vegetable mixture and bring slowly to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pack into clean jars.
- Wipe rims with a clean damp cloth and seal with 2-part lids.
- Process in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|