|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 5g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
We used the coarse grind of a stand mixer's grinder attachment to make this sweet relish. This is a great relish for hot dogs or burgers, and it's a good way to use extra green tomatoes and zucchini. Finely chop the vegetables if you don't have a grinder.
- 4 1/2 cups/2 1/2 pounds zucchini (ground)
- 2 cups/1 1/2 pounds green tomatoes (ground)
- 3 large bell peppers (red and/or yellow, ground)
- 1 large onion (peeled, ground)
- 1/3 cup salt (pickling or canning salt)
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pickling spices
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
Gather the ingredients.
Put ground vegetables in a large nonreactive container with salt; gently stir to combine.
Top with about 3 cups of ice cubes, cover, and let stand for 3 hours.
Drain and lightly rinse.
In a large, nonreactive kettle combine the vinegar, sugar, spices, mustard seeds, turmeric, and garlic.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add drained vegetable mixture and bring slowly to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Pack into clean jars.
Wipe rims with a clean damp cloth and seal with 2-part lids.
Process in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
High Altitude Process Times
- Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner, or 20 minutes for altitudes of 1001 to 6,000 feet.
- Over 6,000 feet, process for 25 minutes.