Sliced zucchini and shredded carrots team up to make this tasty casserole. Some of the stuffing cubes add flavor and body to the filling, while some make up the buttery topping.
This casserole is an excellent way to use prolific fresh zucchini, and the stuffing mix makes it a filling side dish. Go ahead and use yellow summer squash if that's what you have. Or use a combination of zucchini and summer squash. For a burst of color, add a few tablespoons of diced red bell pepper, roasted red bell pepper, or pimientos. This dish can easily be transformed into a main dish casserole with about 2 cups of diced chicken or turkey.
If you're making this a vegetarian dish, check the labels on the stuffing cubes to make sure there isn't any chicken listed in the ingredients. Or make a batch of seasoned stuffing cubes from scratch (below).
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 carrots
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups herb seasoned stuffing cubes, divided
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Wash the zucchini and cut off the ends. Cut the zucchini into 1/2-inch round slices.
- Peel the carrots and shred on the large holes of a box grater or food processor shredding disc.
- Put the zucchini rounds into a medium saucepan and cover with water. Add about 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the pan and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender. Drain the zucchini well and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over medium-low heat. When the butter stops foaming, add the carrot and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Remove the onion and carrot mixture from the heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups of the stuffing cubes. Add the cream of chicken soup and sour cream.
- Add zucchini and stir the mixture gently until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter; add the remaining 1 cup of stuffing cubes. Toss to coat the cubes with the butter.
- Sprinkle the stuffing cubes evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until hot and bubbling.
If you don't have stuffing cubes, make them from scratch. Preheat the oven to 300 F. Slice a loaf of bread (e.g., Italian or another kind of bread that isn't overly dense) into 1/2-inch slices. Cut the sliced bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Arrange the bread cubes on a large rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a poultry seasoning blend. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring every 5 minutes. Let the cubes cool and measure 2 1/2 cups for the recipe.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|