This zucchini casserole is a rich and flavorful side dish with extra flavor from some cheddar cheese and optional crumbled bacon. A gratin is always a nice and relatively easy way to make a fancy side dish out of everyday vegetables.
The casserole is a good choice for a holiday meal or Sunday dinner, and it is an excellent way to use prolific zucchini. The casserole can be made with all or part yellow summer squash as well.
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 pounds zucchini, sliced (approximately 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- dash nutmeg
- 4 to 6 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, drained, crumbled, optional
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup soft fresh bread crumbs
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the chopped onion and saute, stirring, until it is tender and translucent.
- Add the sliced zucchini to the skillet and reduce the heat to low; cover the pan and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until just tender. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet and melt over medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk to the flour and butter (roux) and continue cooking, stirring, until thickened. Add the kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, along with a dash of nutmeg.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings. Add the zucchini and onions to the sauce.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle crumbled bacon over the casserole if using, along with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the zucchini casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 25 minutes, or until the topping is browned and the casserole is bubbling around the edges.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||28 g|
|Saturated Fat||15 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|