|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 34g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||69%|
|Total Carbohydrate 16g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Vitamin C 26mg||131%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Zucchini grilled cheese is the cheesiest plant-based sandwich you can find! It's loaded with fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded zucchini, and of course, more cheese. The shredded zucchini, eggs, almond flour, and seasonings come together to form the super healthy "bread." Next, it's topped with mozzarella cheese (or any cheese of your choice) and then broiled until its melty and gooey.
It's totally gluten-free and works great for a Ketogenic diet, as it's high in fat and protein and low in carbs!
This recipe is a great way to use up extra zucchini from your summer garden. You can easily freeze the "bread" slices in freezer bags and bake them up with some cheese when you're ready to eat!
2 medium zucchini
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup almond flour
1/4 pound mozzarella cheese, fresh or processed
Steps to Make It
Gather your ingredients. Preheat the oven to 450 F.
Shred the zucchini on the large holes of your box grater. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes so some of the liquid separates from the zucchini.
Strain the zucchini and then squeeze the zucchini until you have removed most of the water. Wrapping the zucchini in paper towel works great. You can also use cheese cloth.
Then combine the zucchini with the eggs, onion powder, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, parmesan cheese, and almond flour.
On a parchment-lined baking sheet, add the zucchini mixture, forming it into four separate squares.
Bake the zucchini in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Then flip them and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Add a few slices of cheese to each bread, depending on how cheesy you want them, you can add more or less cheese.
Place the pan under the broiler until the cheese is melted and gooey.
Put two slices of the cheesy bread together and dig in! Enjoy!
Glass Bakeware Warning
Do not use glass bakeware when broiling or when a recipe calls to add liquid to a hot pan, as glass may explode. Even if it states oven-safe or heat resistant, tempered glass products can, and do, break occasionally.
- Make sure to squeeze the zucchini thoroughly. If you don't get enough water out then the bread won't crisp up and will be a little too soft and could be soggy.
- You can also shred the zucchini in your food processor.
- Make sure to bake the zucchini on parchment paper! It will easily stick to most surfaces.
- Use whatever cheese you want for this recipe! Any melty cheese will work great. Monterey Jack, cheddar, and Swiss are all favs!
- Add some crispy bacon to the cheese or a little seared ham. You could also add thin tomato slices after the cheese has melted. Get crazy spicy by adding some pickled jalapenos or a little Sriracha.
- Create a little dipping sauce like a chipotle ranch or a marinara. Get to dipping once the grilled cheese is done!