These tasty zucchini muffins would also be delicious with about 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans, either in addition to the carrots or to replace them. Coconut, raisins, or craisins would be excellent additions as well.
Serve the muffins with flavored butter or a simple cream cheese spread. See the tips, below, for some spread ideas.
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar (granulated)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, (light or dark, packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini (finely shredded unpeeled)
- 1/2 cup carrot (finely shredded)
- Grease and flour 12 muffin cups. Heat oven to 375 F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the oil with eggs, sugars, and vanilla extract.
- Combine the flour, soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; add to the wet ingredients; stirring until blended. Fold in the shredded zucchini and carrots.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full; sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or granulated sugar, if desired. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Pineapple Cream Cheese Spread - Combine 8 ounces of softened cream cheese with 1 can (8 ounces) of drained crushed pineapple.
- Cinnamon Cream Cheese Spread - Combine 4 ounces of softened cream cheese with 2 tablespoons of packed light brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Beat until smooth and well blended.
- Add 1/2 cup of flaked sweetened coconut and/or chopped nuts to the batter along with the shredded carrot, or omit the shredded carrot.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|