|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 24 to 28|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This zucchini sheet cake is a fantastic family snack cake, or take the cake along to a cookout or potluck dinner. The cream cheese frosting is heavenly, but you could use a purchased tub of cream cheese frosting if you're pressed for time.
Sprinkle the whole cake with chopped toasted pecans or toasted coconut, or sprinkle individual servings.
- 1 medium zucchini (or 2 small zucchini)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed light)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 ounces/1 stick butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese (softened)
- 6 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk (as needed)
- Optional: chopped pecans (toasted, if desired)
- Optional: shredded coconut (toasted, if desired)
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 10-by-15-inch sheet cake pan or jelly roll pan.
Shred the zucchini in a food processor with a shredding disk or by hand using a box grater. Measure 2 cups of shredded zucchini into a bowl and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Mix well with a whisk or spoon and set aside.
In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer beat the brown sugar and granulated sugar with the 1 stick of softened butter and sour cream until smooth.
Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
Gradually beat in the flour mixture until well blended.
Stir in the shredded zucchini.
Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 24 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and bounces back when lightly touched with a finger.
Remove the pan to a rack and cool completely before frosting.
Meanwhile, make the frosting. In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese with the 6 tablespoons of butter until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla.
Gradually beat in 3 1/2 cups of the confectioners' sugar; blend well.
Add milk, as needed, until the frosting reaches a good spreading consistency.
Spread the frosting over the cooled cake.
If desired, sprinkle with chopped nuts and/or shredded coconut.
- To toast the chopped nuts and/or the shredded coconut, spread about 1 cup of chopped pecans or coconut in a dry skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring and turning constantly until lightly browned and aromatic.