This zucchini sheet cake is a fantastic family snack cake, or take the cake along to a cookout or potluck dinner. The cream cheese frosting is heavenly, but you could use a purchased tub of cream cheese frosting if you're pressed for time.
Sprinkle the whole cake with chopped toasted pecans or toasted coconut, or sprinkle individual servings.
- 1 medium zucchini (or 2 small zucchini)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed light)
- 2/3 cup sugar (granulated)
- 4 ounces/1 stick butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 package/8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 6 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk (as needed)
- Optional: chopped pecans, toasted if desired, or toasted coconut
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a 10-by-15-inch sheet cake pan or jelly roll pan.
- Shred the zucchini in a food processor with a shredding disk or by hand using a box grater. Measure 2 cups of shredded zucchini into a bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Mix well with a whisk or spoon and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer beat the brown sugar and granulated sugar with the 1 stick of softened butter and sour cream until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture until well blended. Stir in the shredded zucchini.
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 24 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and bounces back when lightly touched with a finger.
- Remove the pan to a rack and cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese with the 6 tablespoons of butter until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla. Gradually beat in 3 1/2 cups of the confectioners' sugar; blend well. Add milk, as needed, until the frosting reaches a good spreading consistency.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled cake.
- If desired, sprinkle with chopped nuts.
*Spread about 1 cup of chopped pecans or coconut in a dry skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring and turning constantly until lightly browned and aromatic.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|