Zucchini squares are an easy and popular brunch or lunch dish. These savory and easy quiche style squares are made with cheddar cheese, eggs, bacon, zucchini, and seasonings. The recipe is a snap to prepare and bake, and they make a wonderful brunch or party appetizer.
Feel free to leave the bacon out of the mixture or use browned and well drained sausage or ground beef in the egg mixture. One reader suggested shredded zucchini instead of the slices, in part because kids might pick the slices out but likely won't notice shredded. Another reader used summer squash in the recipe. Replace the canola oil with olive oil if you'd like. Some other vegetable possibilities include finely chopped red or green bell pepper and shredded carrots. Feel free to substitute seasoned salt or an all-purpose herb blend for the Creole seasoning.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or a cheddar jack blend)
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 3 cups very thinly sliced zucchini
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Slice off the stem and blossom ends of the zucchini. Slice the zucchini into very thin rounds. You should have about 3 cups of sliced zucchini.
- Dice the bacon in 1/2-inch to 1-inch pieces. Arrange the bacon in a large, heavy skillet and place it over medium heat. Cook the bacon until the fat is rendered and the bacon is cooked but not crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, Creole seasoning, thyme, and chopped onion.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the eggs with the oil. Add the egg mixture to the dry mixture and stir until blended. Fold in the drained bacon, shredded cheese, and sliced zucchini.
- Spread in the prepared baking pan; bake for about 25 minutes, until set and lightly browned around the edges.
- Cool slightly and cut into squares.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|