|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 9x12 dish (serves 9-12)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 16g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||32%|
|Total Carbohydrate 13g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Zucchini bechamel is a classic Egyptian dish that is absolutely fabulous! It is called koosa bil bechamel in Arabic and is made with zucchini, beef, and bechamel. It is very similar to another famous Egyptian favorite, macaroni bechamel.
- 2 lbs. zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- For the Bechamel:
- 1/2 butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups warm milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Prepare the Bechamel
- Gather the ingredients.
- This sauce will top the layers of ground beef and sauteed zucchini. In a large, deep, saute pan, melt butter over a medium high heat. Add flour, a little bit at a time.
- Stir constantly to avoid lumping. Stirring quickly and vigorously is very important! Once flour and butter is a creamy, smooth mixture, slowly add warm milk.
- Keep stirring to avoid clumping. Bring mixture to a boil. You have to bring it to a boil because this is what will thicken your sauce. It may take several minutes over a medium high heat and constant stirring. Allow to boil for one minute. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer. If you are adding cheese to the sauce, now would be the time to do so. Stir constantly until the cheese is melted.
- Cover and keep on low, stirring every few minutes until ready to use. If mixture sits too long, it will thicken. Simply add 1/4 cup of warm milk to thin out.
Prepare Zucchini and Beef
- In a pan, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a medium heat. Add zucchini slices and allow them to saute until they soften. Add salt and pepper.
- While zucchini is sauteing, prepare another pan to brown and chop your ground beef. Brown ground beef until no longer pink and drain any fat.
- In a 9x12 dish, make a thin layer of zucchini, followed by ground beef. Continue repeating layers until you are out of zucchini and ground beef.
- The final layer will be bechamel sauce. Slowly pour on top of last layer. Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered at 350 F.