|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 26g||33%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||33%|
|Total Carbohydrate 40g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This classic Thai dish is savory-good with a pleasurable amount of crunch. To make it the authentic way, use lemongrass as the recipe calls for; however, if you can't find it, lemon zest makes a handy substitution. Cashew Chicken is one of many stir-fry recipes that came to Thailand via the Chinese. Very popular in Thai restaurants all around the world, this dish is also simple to make at home with impressive results–just follow the easy steps below to a meal that will be popular with all members of the family including the kids (just omit the chili for them). Accompany with Thai jasmine-scented rice or Thai coconut rice for a true Thai dinner treat.
- 3-4 chicken (thighs sliced into bite-size pieces or strips, 2 chicken breasts–optional)
- 1/4 cup onion (white diced)
- 3 green onions (cut into segments)
- 3-4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 piece ginger (thumb-size, sliced into matchsticks)
- 1-2 chilies (red sliced, omit for mild tastes)
- 1 lemongrass stalk (pale section sliced and minced OR substitute 1 teaspoon lemon zest)
- 2 baby bok choy (heads roughly chopped OR substitute 2 to 3 cups broccoli florets)
- 1/2 cup cashews (dry roasted, unsalted)
- 1 handful shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/4 cup white wine (or white cooking wine)
- 2 tablespoons oil (for stir-frying)
- For the Marinade:
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- For the Stir-Fry Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons cooking wine (white)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce (dark)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar (brown heaping)
Stir together marinade ingredients in a medium-size bowl. Add chicken pieces and stir to coat. Set aside.
Combine all stir-fry sauce ingredients in a bowl or large cup, stirring well to dissolve sugar. Set aside.
In a large wok or frying pan, fry the onion, green onion, garlic, ginger, chili, and minced lemongrass in oil over medium-high heat (2 minutes).
Add marinated chicken plus mushrooms. Stir-fry until chicken is cooked (3 to 5 minutes). When your pan becomes dry, add a little of the wine, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time.
Add bok choy and continue stir-frying until it softens and turns bright green (2 minutes).
Finally, add the sauce you made earlier, plus the cashews. Continuing stirring until everything is well combined and cooked to your liking.
Do a taste test for salt and sweetness, adding more sugar if too sour for your taste, or more fish sauce if not salty or flavorful enough (the sauce should taste tangy and a little sweet).
Serve with Thai Jasmine Rice or Thai Coconut Rice. Enjoy!